Hebert and I started our new job a couple of Saturdays ago at a local English institute here in town. Hebert is teaching 9th-10th graders and I'm teaching 2nd graders all the way up to 5th graders all in one classroom. The differences in my age groups have been quite the challenge I must say. I've spent the past two Saturdays in tears. Let's just say I have a whole new respect for elementary school teachers, especially here in Venezuela. You know how in the US you have two or three kids that are constantly acting out...imagine a whole classroom of them and you have elementary school in Venezuela! But I can already tell that just from these past two Saturdays I have grown a lot from this experience.
Last week I also started up my other job teaching private English classes. I really, really enjoy teaching these classes. Its so much more fun and relaxing to only have to teach one or two students. Currently I am teaching Angeles and Jennifer they are sisters and are both in high school. They are incredibly smart and very motivated to learn English. I've really enjoyed just getting to know them and using class materials from their favorite movies, books, etc. We're reading Harry Potter in English to work on their reading skills and watching clips from Twilight to work on their listening. Later on, once they have a good foundation I want to teach them how to share the gospel in English, so that when the team from the US comes this summer they have an opportunity to use them as translators.
Another great joy for me this week has been an addition to our family. Yes Hebert and I have made the decision to be foster parents...don't worry its just a hamster! Our good friends Sarah and David are currently in Peru studying linguistics for bible translation, so they asked us to care for their hamster while they are away! Her name is Honey and she is very sweet, like her name implies. Our hamster Po, is currently going crazy knowing that there is a female in the house...I'm sure we can all use our imaginations to know what he's thinking. However, we are keeping them separate because I refuse to raise 48 hamsters!
Other updates...let's see...Maracaibo has been so INCREDIBLY hot lately. Yesterday, according to the weathermen it felt like 120 degrees outside. So, I guess the temperature in Maracaibo does change some...it goes from Hot to Hotter! Hebert and I will be getting a break from the over 100 degree weather this summer when we travel with our youth to their summer camp in the mountains. Hebert and I are going to be camp counselors. It will be exciting to explore a new part of Venezuela and I'm really looking forward to getting to know more people from church. Hope you are all doing well! Love you and Miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment