Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Arepas and Sweet tea

I've been cooking a lot of arepas lately, so I thought I would attach an article that does a lot better than I ever could at explaining what arepas are and how they are made.  I just discovered that the best arepas are arepas dulces.  Arepas with a little bit of sugar, a mix of savory with sweet.  Its very delicious!  Arepas are a staple at any Venezuelan home they are filling and very cheap to make. 





http://www.sweetbitesblog.com/journal/2010/2/10/arepas-dulces-sweet-venezuelan-filled-corn-cakes.html

I usually fill ours with ham and cheese or if I want to get a little fancier I'll shred chicken or beef.  There's a dish here that tastes just like chopped barbeque back home.  They are called arepas de pernil.  Pernil is spanish for pork and in these arepas it is shredded and cooked with vinegar and it tastes just like home.  However, all that is missing is sweet tea.  Which thanks to Sarah, who left us some tea bags, I am able to make sweet tea at home.  And you know what my Venezuelan husband makes the best sweet tea ever.  It could rival Chick-fil-A and Bojangles.  He also makes the best fresh pineapple juice...God knew what he was doing when he put us together...haha :)

No comments:

Post a Comment