So, my sister from another mother has started a new series on her blog called Foodie Friday - sarahydavid.blogspot.com
Each week she posts an ingredient and her followers contribute with recipes of their own. This week's ingredient is oatmeal!
I actually use oatmeal in a lot of recipes. I substitute it for flour when breading chicken or as breadcrumbs in meatloaf or meatballs because it is a sneaky way to add fiber to any recipe. One of my favorite uses for oatmeal is to add it to arepa mix along with flax seed. Its definitely a less traditional arepa (venezuelan cornbread sandwich); however, it tastes better to me and its healthier.
The recipe I'm going to submit today is for oatmeal pancakes. I love pancakes, especially the whole wheat ones. However, in Venezuela whole wheat flour is hard to come by, so to compensate for the loss I started making oatmeal pancakes.
Oatmeal pancakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste, dash of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Optional: chopped banans, raisins, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, whatever you like.
Mix ingredients until combined, leave the lumps. Put a little bit of butter on the griddle and make your pancakes!
You can top with maple syrup or you can make a fresh fruit compote, see recipe in below post. If you have any oatmeal recipes please share them at sarahydavid.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment