Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Andes

Hebert and I just got back from our trip to the Andes.  We got invited last minute by our pastor to teach about missions with an organization that provides training for future church planters.  Little did I know how much of a blessing this trip would be.  We went to a small, picturesque town in the Andes mountains called Bailadores which translated means Dancers.  The views of the mountains, rivers, and waterfalls going into the town were absolutely breathtaking.  It definitely made the 10 hour journey from Maracaibo to Bailadores well worth it.  It was a much needed break from the Maracaibo heat.  Its actually colder here than in NC during the summertime.  It was also just really good for my soul to be in the country, surround by natural beauty and God's creation.  I always thought I was a city person, but after living in Maracaibo for awhile - I have to admit that I am a country girl.  Its hard not to be in love with God when you're surrounded by His beauty. 

The missions training was part of El Proyecto Filadelphia or the Philadelphia project.  Its a two-week intensive program that teaches basically everthing, church planting, missions, hermenutics, old and new testament, English, how to prepare sermons and bible studies, first aid, psychology, and more classes that I can't remember.  Its led by a Colombian missionary her name is Adelfa and she is the pastor of the church  that hosts the training.  I really enjoyed talking with her and hearing her experiences as a missionary in Venezuela and she was such an encouragement to me.  She's currently working on a project to build a school at church with rooms, so that more students will be able to come for the training.  I really enjoyed teaching and sharing with these students.  Its really humbling to see first hand as the Venezuelan Church's conscience is awakening to missions and to see how everyone, including all ages want to be involved.  Please keep Pastora Adelfa and this project in your prayers.  Be praying for strength, guidance, health, provision, and for future teachers and students to train and be trained as future Venezuelan missionaries.  Here are some pictures, but they definitely don't do the place justice:

The church is on a hill overlooking the city
 Pastora Adelfa's Garden

 Hebert and I with Pastora Adelfa
 My new friend Hilary and I in front of Pastora Adelfa's house w/ church next door.
 Pictures of the church
Students and pastors involved with Project Filadelphia


This is the school that the church is building for the program.
Teaching about Unreached People Groups
Video on the Persecuted Church
We sang "I could sing of your love forever" in Bahasa Indonesian, English, and Spanish
Hebert teaching about making disciples
This is a picture of a field of roses that we took as we were driving.  Bailadores is known for growing roses for commercial use.
Pastora Adelfa took us around town to see the sights and we shared some tres leches cake and figs.



   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment